Sunday, September 23, 2012

Consequences

Last night, Leilani threw a fit because we weren't going to rent a movie from Blockbuster. I told her she had lots of movies at home and would be watching one once we got home. That wasn't good enough for her and she let us know by throwing a fit. I told her, that if she stopped, she'd still get to watch the movie, but if she didn't, she'd lose that privilege. She didn't stop. After I told her she couldn't watch a movie that night, she went crazier. I told her I understood her disappointment, but she needed to understand and listen to what I was saying. She just kept arguing, so I told her that if she didn't stop, she wouldn't be able to watch movies the next day (today). Once again, she didn't stop. I think she thought I'd either forget or relent this morning, but I didn't. I put the movies up last night so she couldn't just pop one in. And when she asked me about it this morning, I told her why she couldn't watch one, and to play quietly instead. So basically, this post is a big pat on the back to myself that I followed through calmly and lovingly, and also, a brag on Leilani for how well she took it. Watching her play imaginatively was so much fun, and hearing her "read" stories to her baby doll was awesome. Once we get moved and settled and all the upheaval is gone (because the movers are going to be here all next week) we're going to be limiting technology a LOT. It's going to be so much better for the whole family. And that's my positive moment from the past week.

No comments:

Post a Comment